The term “holistic” is used a lot these days, but what does it really mean? In general, a holistic approach to anything means taking into account the whole system, not just the parts. When it comes to your health, this means looking at your mind, body, and spirit – not just your physical body.
The benefits of a holistic approach to health are well-documented. When you take care of your whole self, you’re more likely to see results that last, instead of quick fixes that don’t offer lasting change. A holistic approach can also help to prevent health problems before they start.
If you’re interested in learning more about how a holistic approach can help you see results, read on!
1. Eating whole foods.
- When we talk about "whole foods," we're referring to items that haven't been altered from their original state in any way. They are often offered for sale in bulk or without any kind of packaging. They have been shown to reduce the chance of developing chronic illnesses including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes due to their high nutritional content. They also include a lot of beneficial fiber that helps keep your digestive system healthy.
2. Portion sizes
- You have probably been on a diet at some point in your life. And, if you are like most people, you have probably also been frustrated by the lack of results. Why is that so? One reason may be that you are not looking at the big picture. It is important to take a holistic approach. This means looking at all aspects of your life – not just your diet. For example, are you getting enough sleep? Are you managing your stress levels? In addition to eating healthy foods, you also need to focus on these other areas and manage and pay attention to the portion sizes of everything in your life - not just food - in order to see results.
- Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for our overall health and well-being. Though, for many of us, it can be difficult to get the recommended seven to eight hours per night. Luckily, there are a number of things we can do to improve our sleep. In addition to following good sleep hygiene practices, such as disconnecting from electronic screens before bed and creating a dark and quiet sleep environment, we can also turn to natural sleep aids.
4. Stress management
- "Holistic" is a word that seems to be everywhere these days, but what does it really mean? A holistic approach is one that considers the whole rather than focusing on isolated aspects of a problem. Consider all aspects of your being than simply your physical health when assessing your state of wellness. The benefits of a holistic approach to health are well-documented. Taking care of your full self is more likely to provide long-term outcomes than band-aid approaches.
- Accomplishing goals is not a straight line. The road ahead will be full of ups and downs, bends and twists. Focusing on what you're doing and pushing ahead will get you where you need to go. This is particularly true when we consider health and physical fitness. The fact is that sustained benefits come from a comprehensive approach, yet it's easy to get caught up in the newest fad diet or training routine. In other words, you need to maintain your healthy routines on a daily basis. Incorporating healthful behaviors into your routine might help them become automatic. The effects you get from doing this are long-lasting and substantial.
6. Daily Movement
- Consistent physical exercise has been shown to have several positive effects. Physical activity is an important aspect of successful weight management because of its positive effects on both mental and physical health. However, many of us have trouble making time for the consistent physical activity we require. One reason is that in our pursuit of goals like weight loss and increased fitness, we tend to neglect to just appreciate the journey itself. When we put too much emphasis on the end product, we tend to lose sight of the process itself. An integrative strategy is the most effective way to achieve your goals. This means getting up off the couch and into the Daily Movement every single day.