Food, family, and friends are what the holidays are all about. The Christmas season is a time when many individuals put their usual healthy eating routines on hold in favor of their most beloved comfort foods. Still, it need not be that way! Making smarter food and lifestyle decisions ahead of time will help you keep your health in check and prevent gaining weight during the holidays.
We discuss ways to eat better throughout the holidays without breaking the bank. So, whether you want to be in shape for the holidays or simply maintain your current weight, keep reading for some helpful advice!
1. Aim for a balance of nourishing and pleasurable foods
- Eat a wide range of meals, both healthy and tasty, to maintain a balanced diet. By prioritizing meals high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, we provide our bodies with the fuel they need for optimal health. Meanwhile, satisfying and enjoyable meals provide us with a reason to keep on living. The trick to being healthy throughout the holidays is to consume a mix of meals that are both nutritious and enjoyable. As a result, we won't have to choose between enjoying the holidays and looking after our health.
2. Find a new healthy recipe you are excited to try
- Finding new, nutritious dishes that you're enthusiastic to try is a great approach to keeping your health in check throughout the holidays. Cooking and eating something you like, whether it's a lighter version of a familiar meal or something altogether new, can help you maintain your motivation and commitment to your goals.
3. Eat mindfully
- Being present at the moment while eating is the essence of mindful eating. It entails paying attention to what you eat, who you eat with, and how you feel on a mental, physical, and spiritual level when eating. Mindful eating increases the likelihood that one will choose nutritious options. You'll have a better time both at the table and with the folks you're eating with. And that's the spirit of the season!
4. Eat at the table without screens
- Consuming food while staring at a screen, whether it is a phone, tablet, or television, is harmful to our health. As a result, we may gain weight, have trouble digesting our food, and fail to get enough of certain nutrients. Do yourself a favor and commit to eating without screens this holiday season. Put down your phones and enjoy your meal with the people you're with. It's a simple adjustment that may have a significant impact on health.
5. Fully enjoy the foods you choose to eat
- Finally, don’t forget to enjoy the foods you choose to eat! Life is too short to deny yourself the occasional treat. Just remember to be mindful of your health and you’ll be able to enjoy the holidays – and the food – without any guilt.