One of the most influential quotes that can relate to almost anything, including meal prep is:
“Fail to plan, plan to fail”- Benjamin Franklin
If you don’t plan for success, you can plan to fail. This is especially true when it comes to achieving personal nutrition and fitness goals. There are various things you could to set ensure your victory, but something as simple as sitting down and figuring out what you will eat can make or break your road to success. Here are a few things to try along with some pro tips:
1. Meal Plan
- Plan your meals and snacks for a few weeks and then recycle those meal plans and grocery lists (making changes to improve what you didn’t like)
- Let your family help and make suggestions
- Keep it simple- I try to keep complicated recipes to a maximum of 1-2 per week.
- Use cookbooks that focus on whole foods some of my favorites are
- Simply 6- Hungry Girl
- The Whole Smiths Cookbook
- The Wellness Mama
2. Meal Prep
- Prep at a time where you would normally have lazy time.
- Have your family help in any way they can and make it a family affair
- Use easy options like steam fresh bags
- Take a break when you need it- there’s nothing wrong with ordering some healthy meal prep when you are especially busy or just don’t have the motivation to cook
3. Set a Routine
- When you block out time to do meal prep and planning, it will become a part of your natural rhythm of life.
- Try to incorporate workouts in your schedule and stick to it!
- Don’t forget to put some “me time” in your routine- that’s just as important
4. Establish good habits
- Wake up, drink some water, and take your omegas
- Be sure to eat every 3-4 hours, set a reminder if needed
- Have pre- and post workout fuel
- Keep healthy snacks with you
5. Menu Reviews
- Before going out to eat, look over the menu and decide what you want to order. If you wait until you get there and are hungry- you are less likely to make good choices.
- Pick ONE: EITHER an alcoholic beverage, OR a relaxed meal, OR a dessert. NEVER choose more than one and NEVER NEVER go with all three!