Ever wondered what you are supposed to be eating around your workouts?
Well this blog post is FOR YOU!! Not all people are created equal and the same is true for workouts and workout times. Some people prefer to get up early and have their workout done before most of us even consider waking. Others want the extra rest and prefer to do it mid-morning, but there is also the type of people that will not go workout if they go home first—regardless of each person’s preferences or schedule YOU need to ear before a workout.
I know you don’t want to eat because you are worried about getting sick to your stomach, or you’ve heard somewhere that you need to fast, or you just don’t want to get up any earlier…….well I have some bad news for you. You NEED to eat before your workout. When you workout on an empty stomach your body breaks down muscle BEFORE fat and high intensity workouts on an empty stomach do NOT help burn fat! I have never heard someone say they want to gain more fat, so be sure to eat up.\
Here are some suggestions:
· Carbohydrates and protein are the way to go
· Drink a large glass of water with your food
· Drink a protein shake or smoothie- but make sure you have carbs too!
· Try Greek yogurt
· Stay with low fat because it takes too long for your body to break down fats (except coconut oil)
You need to have food too, but luckily you aren’t waking up from a period of fasting. Try not to eat large meals 1-2 hours before your workout so your body has tome to break down the food. Here are some suggestions:
· Liquids are digested faster than solids
· Log in MFP under specific names and timing
· Focus on carbs and protein- no fat
· Unsweetend apple sauce is a great pre-workout that can be eaten just before you begin warming up
Regardless of the time you workout, what every person needs to do is replenish AFTER working out. It is most ideal to consume protein and carbs within 30 minutes of your workout. Don’t have protein shakes? That’s okay, according to HSN’s R.D. if is most important to replenish carbs- so grab a banana and eat up!!
Need more advice or accountability? Book a Nutrition Consult here.